Picture of softwank found Here
- DO NOT ACCEPT “FREEBIES” FROM YOUR MOBILE CARRIER.
- Buy unlocked phone
- Use MVNO providers
- This is not uncommon as is a practice done in many countries.
IIJ 10000¥/month (20000¥/month with generous phone subsidy)
201Z was offered to me at no charge for 2 years when I upgraded from an iPhone 4s to a 6plus in 2015, I also add my wife’s phone under my name from docomo.
I asked the staff what the catch was. He said that I’d have to cancel the contract after two years. Fair enough I though to myself I can do that. Took two of the things at 0¥ for 2 years and 500¥ each after the 2 year free trial period. So 1000¥ a month from the 25th month onwards.
Fast forward to 2017. My 2year contract is up for my 6plus. I want to cancel the GPS units. I’m now told that I’d have a 20000yen penalty for breaking contract.
I explained that my contract is with my phones… why would it be different. But alas it was. I was on my 25th month. But my phones (two 6plus) still had a month to go.
I protested and said “this is not what I was told”
“This is a scam”
Must be a regular thing for her to hear I assumed.
The agent/robot had no empathy nor sympathy. I found it weird as I was using a calm tone but just asking pointed questions. She would stay quiet on the line waiting for key words à la “Ok google” “Alexa”.
As I got nowhere with her I went into a shop a few days later. The shop confirmed the dates on contracts did not coincide. They they very apologetic and explained that unless I had proof I was told the contracts would sync up that there was nothing that I could do.
Annoyed I started looking into another mobile carrier. The big 3 are all the same imo. So recently with the boom of MVNOs I decided on IIJ as they offered home internet as well.
But my iPhone was a 6plus, which wasn’t allowed to be unlocked to use on IIJ. At the time there were no MNVOs using the softwank network.
New iPhone 7s were in order.
I later cancelled my AUTO RENEWING contract with softwank for two lines AND my internet. I also abandoned my plans to switch my house power to softwank power. (All services under one roof leads to [marginal] savings.)
Of course my internet was also under different contract dates. After asking to cancel once and getting a weird run around I cancelled again and confirmed twice that it was properly done.
I bit the bullet with this one and paid it.
So softwank, due to your business practices you’ve lost
- 2 now 3 phone lines.
- Home internet.
- Option for power
You still have me on your list for the 2 GPS units, till Oct-Nov 2018.
- 13000¥ my phone + service (26 month) 7GB down to 5gb after one year. [unlimited calls of which I used about 2min a month due to the line app] as a returning softwank member I had the privilege of paying more for my service.
- 11000¥ wife’s phone + service (26 month) 7GB down to 5gb after one year.
- 7000¥ internet with mandatory wifi/IP phone router combo rental 500¥. 100mbs
- AUTOMATICALLY RENEWING CONTRACTS PER SERVICE.
Totalling 31000¥ per month. About 5000¥ per phone being to payback phone subsidy.
So let’s say a total of 20000¥ per month without subsidy. (Approx 200USD)
- Both phones sharing a 11Gb now 12 gig plan. With 2 month roll over. Unlimited 3G (slow speed) [ip phone app to make lower prices calls or standard rate regular calls]
- Gigabit fiberoptic connection to house.
- A 3rd sim for a tablet that shares the gb pool. (Free at the time of getting IIJ service)
- Contract DOES NOT RENEW automatically and is cancellable with one month notice.
The price 10000¥/month without phone subsidy as they were paid upfront. (2 unlocked phones)