Flashed Tasmota with the ARDUINO IDE software (to customize the firmware)
The NodeMCU would constantly do the following…
- I tried re-flashing
- Using another NODEMCU after discovering a dead one
- Restoring from another Tasmota NodeMCU
Only until I stumbled on this page did I see the solution
13:28:06 MQT: tele/sonoff/LWT = Online (retained) 13:28:06 MQT: cmnd/sonoff/POWER = 13:29:00 DNS: Initialized 13:29:00 MQT: Attempting connection... 13:29:02 MQT: Connected 13:29:02 MQT: tele/sonoff/LWT = Online (retained) 13:29:02 MQT: cmnd/sonoff/POWER = 13:29:24 MQT: Attempting connection...
Apparently I was on code 2.4.0 which is weird as some earlier projects are on core 2.4.1. https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/issues/2041
So uninstalling all the ESP8266 versions I installed an older version. Although 2.4.1 seems to work for some of my projects I opted to go for the tried and tested 2.3.0. Luckily this worked like a charm and I have made a note to always check this.
I think that in a recent reinstall of the ARDUINO IDE software I left the default version of the code which is 2.4.0 on.
Had I realized this earlier it would have saved me hours of testing and re-flashing. Once again this Tasmota – Home Assistant DIY solution is just not cut out for the average person.