Replacement of the DHT22

Part 1Part 2

Finally the AHT10 and BME280 sensors have arrived.

First step soldering pins. Got to unwrap my newest soldering iron.

Then loading up tasmota on the nodemcu. (The same one that was already outside) Despite all the OLD instructions to edit the useroverride section in the sonoff.bin I simply downloaded the newest 6.6.0 tasmota as per instructions has i2c support for the BME280.

Connected it, presto it works. Added a light meter from the BRUH multisensor (analog… this needs to change), added an AM312 PIR sensor.

Next in the console changed the NTP server to a local one, pfsense box. Changed the interval to 10seconds for mqtt updates.

Edited the mqtt settings. Saved and…….

Nothing

Another entry to come here. Apparently my RPi decided that now would be the ideal time to eat another card. So I proceeded to restore my setup from my daily Dropbox snapshots.

In the mean time I decided to compare a working DHT22 to a BME280. Im happy to report the BME280 is more responsive. Blowing on both, the BME280 recovers within a couple seconds. Whereas the DHT22 seems to take double if not more.

The outdoor sensor was still “indoors” for testing

Out of picture I did have a fan blowing lightly in my direction. Which means the self-heating the BME280 does is negligible if non-existant.

I thought about testing more sensors but then I stumbled into this.

Sensor comparisons

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/dht11-vs-dht22-vs-lm35-vs-ds18b20-vs-bme280-vs-bmp180/

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=624204.0

Clearly the BME280 is best. Huzzah.

As the “rainy season” is merging with “typhoon season” it has been 2 weeks of rain and now a typhoon. So, during the typhoon at 4am I decided to stick the tasmotized sensor node back outside in the veranda making sure to weather protect the protruding BME280 as much as possible.

5am. Bed time (after getting hassio back up and restored running on a temporary card after eating one more)

8am. Wake up time.

Clear day blue skies the morning after the water is still evaporating the sensor seems to work fine.

It was last year that my first DHT22 died outside under the veranda with consistently humid 80+% weather.

Added the sensors in the configuration.yaml file (old school)

I did also get some AHT10, I’ll be getting around to them soon. They aren’t on the tasmota support list. Maybe it’s time to check out ESPhome.

The aht10 on a 1 yen coin. These things are tiny.

I’ve let it run a couple days and all seems well.

I think its location being under the veranda roof by the house may affect readings a little. But this is where the DHT22 used to be.

Time will tell

There brightness is the sensor left over from the BRUH. As it’s analog I’m thinking it should be swapped out.
The clouds rolled in mid day.
Which means the warm ground started to release moisture and/or the relative humidity started to rise.
The pressure reading is a new feature.

2 thoughts on “Replacement of the DHT22

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s